Sunday, August 11, 2013

Why I Appreciate Being Single - Reason #24

Because there are often times when I'm in a position where I need to learn how to do challenging things on my own. There's no valiant boyfriend to call on for his muscles and/or technical skills. But when I rise to meet the challenge and succeed, I feel awfully proud about learning a new skill and achieving a heightened level of self-sufficiency. Now, this reason is juxtapose to my reason #20, where I write about being comfortable asking for help, and receiving help from friends. They are both valid reasons and each have their place in my single, independent life. But I don't really think it's a good idea to impose on my friends for every arduous task I encounter. I've got to save the favors for particularly rainy days. So when I'm faced with something I know might be possible for me to accomplish on my own, with a little bit of research, resourcefulness, and elbow grease, I put the effort in to make it happen. And the end result is very rewarding. Today, for example, I lugged my new, *heavy* window AC unit upstairs to my second floor apartment, dragged it into my bedroom, disassembled my old unit, and installed the new one, all by myself. I procrastinated doing this for a week. I went through a mental list of all of my man friends that might love me enough to lend me a hand. Yet, I knew I had to give it a shot on my own. So I tried, and succeeded. And at the end of the day, I feel accomplished, industrious, competent, and proud. If I were in a relationship, I wouldn't have hesitated for a moment before asking my partner to help me with this. And there's nothing wrong with that. Relationships are great because you're there to help each other. But since that's not an option available to me right now, I bit the bullet, got the job done, and added a new skill and experience to my quiver.


No comments:

Post a Comment